Schedules of Moorish Castle
- Open everydays.
- 09:30 until 18:30 (Last ticket and last admission until 18:00).
Address: Estrada da Pena. 2710-609 Sintra.
Moorish Castle ticket
- Ticket for adults (18 – 64 yrs) 8,00 euros.
- Ticket for youths (6 – 17 yrs) 6,50 euros.
- Ticket for seniors (over 65 yrs) 6,50 euros.
- Family ticket (2 adults + 2 youths) 26,00 euros.
– To benefit from a reduction on your visit to several sites, choose combined tickets.
– Free on Sundays for the residents of the Municipality of Sintra to the parks and monuments “Parques de Sintra”.
- The “Parks of Sintra” : Palace and Gardens of Queluz, National Palace of Sintra, Park and National Palace of Pena, Chalet and Garden of the Countess of Edla, Moorish Castle, Vila Sassetti, Park and Palace of Monserrate, Convent of the Capuchos and Portuguese School of Equestrian Art.
Book your hotel in Sintra, Portugal
Hotel rooms at great prices.
Moorish Castle history
Sat upon one of the peaks overlooking the Sintra Hills, the Moorish Castle is a fortification built in around the 10th century following the conquest of the Iberian Peninsula by the Moors.
The current configuration of the Moorish Castle derives from a series of building campaigns and events and particularly highlighting the interventions taking place during the first dynasty, begun by Afonso Henriques following the taking of Lisbon and Santarém (1147); through to the utilisation of the fortification during the reign of Fernando I (1383); the damage caused by the 1755 earthquake; the restoration work undertaken by Ferdinand II in the 19th century within the Romantic tastes of that era and as well as the interventions carried out by the General Directorate of National Buildings and Monuments in the 20th century.
The archaeological works completed in various sectors of the Castle have enabled a fuller understanding of the occupation of this site over the course of many centuries in conjunction with the possible identification of a medieval Christian cemetery, silos and the foundations to Moorish residences along with objects and artefacts from the Bronze Age, from the Iron Age and the Neolithic period, including the singular highlight of a complete ceramic vase dated to the 5th century BC.
The Moorish Castle was classified as a National Monument in 1910 and forms part of the Sintra Cultural Landscape classified by UNESCO as World Heritage since 1995.
- Also see:
- Monuments and museums in Sintra
- Monuments and museums in Lisbon
- Attractions in Lisbon
- Monuments and museums in Fatima
- Monuments and museums in Portugal
Rent-a-car in Lisbon, Portugal
Rent a car with special offers in the brands that you know.
Sintra transfers and tours
Your private transfer and tour in Sintra 24/7 all year long. Transfer with sedans, minivans, minibus and bus.
Cellphone: +351 969 550 167
Phone: +351 211 315 522
Whatsapp: +351 969 550 167
Tourism Travel Agency in Portugal
Portuguese Tourism Authority
R.N.A.V.T. : 5266