Schedules of Lisbon Zoo
- Open everydays
- From 21 of September until 20 of March
10am to 8pm (Last admission 5:15pm).
- From 21 of March until 20 of September
9:30am to 7pm (Last admission 6:45pm).
Address: Praça Marechal Humberto Delgado. 1549-004 Lisboa.
Link to official site
Price of entrances
- – Child (under 3 years) FREE.
– Child (3-12 years) 14,50 euros.
– Adult (13-64 years) 21,50 euros.
– Senior (65 years or more) 16,00 euros.
History of Lisbon Zoo
Opened in 1884, the Lisbon Zoo was the first park with fauna and flora of the Iberian Peninsula. Several founders – Dr. Pedro Van Der Laan, José Thomaz Sousa Martins and the Baron of Kessler – had the support of several personalities, King D. Fernando II and zoologist José Vicente Barboza do Bocage.
The first facilities were located in the Park of São Sebastião da Pedreira, which was given free of charge by its owners.
Later, the park moved to Palhavã and on May 28, 1905, new and definitive facilities were inaugurated at Quinta das Laranjeiras. On March 12, 1913, the Zoo was declared an Institution of Public Utility.
Numerous consignments of animals from Africa and Brazil have contributed to the Zoo having one of the largest and most diverse collections of animals in the world over the years.
In fact, some governors of the former overseas provinces were noted for their contribution to the enrichment of the zoological collection with rare, unknown, and very attractive examples of exotic species.
In 1952, the City Council of Lisbon awarded the Zoo with the Gold Medal of the City.
The fall of the Estado Novo in 1974 and the consequent independence of the former colonies in Africa meant the breakdown of the strong support given to the Zoo by the authorities in the diversification and renovation of the animal collection.
By this time, the number of visitors also decreased substantially and there were radical cuts in state subsidies.
Thus, it was necessary to develop and implement a new management strategy for the Zoo, adapting it to the values and needs of the time.
In 1990, the new management policy adopted by Félix Naharro Pires, who in the meantime took over as President of the Zoological Garden, aimed to modernize existing facilities and services.
In this way, specific work areas were created with their own objectives, to improve collection and animal welfare, food and veterinary care.
In parallel, commercial services, marketing, public relations and the press were created in order to make the Park a privileged partner of companies.
Promoting education for conservation among the visiting public was also one of the main concerns, which quickly earned the creation of a service of its own, the Pedagogical Center. Currently, the Zoo represents the role of educator, with the advantage of owning one of the best classrooms in the country, whose animal collection, space and activities provide an attractive and effective learning. Contact with the dolphins during the ATL in the Zoo The guided tour of a school. The Zoo is no longer a showcase of animals to take an active role in the protection and conservation of Nature. Improvement of facilities for the animals allowed the increase of the birth rate. The Veterinary Hospital opened in 2008 was considered the best in Europe by EAZA – European Association of Zoos and Aquariums. Nowadays, the Zoo is different, has a new mission and a new message. It features new attractions and facilities. The Garden is a space where allied to conservation and education is a strong component of entertainment and fun. In this new zoo they inhabit about 2000 animals in a set of approximately 300 species, among mammals, birds, reptiles and amphibians.
Source: website of Jardim Zoológico de Lisboa.
Lisbon transfers and tours
Your private transfer and tour in Lisbon 24/7 all year long. Transfer with sedans, minivans, minibus and bus.
Cellphone: +351 969 550 167
Phone: +351 211 315 522
Whatsapp: +351 969 550 167
Book your hotel in Lisbon
Hotel rooms in Lisbon at great prices.
Tourism Travel Agency in Lisbon, operating in Portugal
Portuguese Tourism Authority
R.N.A.V.T. : 5266