Schedules of Carriage Museum.
- Tuesday til Sunday
10:00 to 18:00. Last ticket: 17:30.
- Close: Mondays, 1st de january, 1st de may, easter sunday, 24th e 25th de december, 13 de june.
Address: Avenida da Índia nº 136. 1300-300 Lisboa.
Link to Official website
Carriage Museum ticket
- – New National Carriage Museum 8,00 Euros.
– National Carriage Museum – Old Royal Riding Arena 4,00 Euros.
– 2 for 1 ticket 10,00 Euros.
Discounts on Combined Tickets
– Royal Roadway – National Palace of Ajuda + Coach Museum + Royal Coach Museum- 12,00 Euros
– Visitors aged 65 or older 50%.
– Student’s card (not for study visits) 50%.
– Youth Card 50%.
– Family ticket (minimum 4 members of near family or similar) 50%.
– Protocols with third party institutions 20%.
Coach Museum history
The New Coach Museum has opened its doors in Belém as a new cultural facility and a new public space.
It was the result of two main concerns: to increase the exhibition area and the technical support infrastructure and to enhance the experience of visitors in the country’s most visited museum. It comprises a main pavilion with a suspended nave connecting to an annexe through an overhead walkway. The spatial layout of these volumes forms a kind of portico pointing towards a free access inner plaza. Also within view are the quaint old houses of Rua da Junqueira evoking bygone days and riverside promenades. The New Museum includes permanent and temporary exhibition galleries, reserve areas and a coach conservation and restoration workshop. New spaces have been designed for a Library, an Archive and an Auditorium, which will open up the museum to a wide range of cultural activities. Visitors will also be able to stop by at the food court and the Museum Shop.
The Royal Riding Arena
The Royal Coach Museum was inaugurated on 23 May 1905 by Queen D. Amélia de Orleãns e Bragança, a French princess who married the future King of Portugal, D. Carlos I. The site chosen to house the first coach museum in the world was the hall of the former Royal Riding Arena, where the museum stood up to the 23 May 2015. Despite its success, the museum’s lack of space was a problem from the start, which prompted the Queen to commission a new project in 1906 for expanding the museum so as to exhibit the Royal House vehicles spread across the stables of different palaces. Following the proclamation of the Republic on 5 October 1910, the museum collection received a set of coaches and berlins from an extinct Royal House and also from the Church. In memory of the excellent safeguarding and disseminating work done by the former Riding Arena, a number of coaches and berlins can still be seen at the old premises, and so is a gallery of royal family paintings and a set of cavalry harnesses.
Contents edited by DDCI.
Lisbon transfers and tours
Your private transfer and tour in Lisbon 24/7 all year long. Transfer with sedans, minivans, minibus and bus.
Cellphone: +351 969 550 167
Phone: +351 211 315 522
Whatsapp: +351 969 550 167
Book your hotel in Lisbon
Hotel rooms in Lisbon at great prices.
Tourism Travel Agency in Lisbon, operating in Portugal
Portuguese Tourism Authority
R.N.A.V.T. : 5266